An aphrodisiac is a substance that can induce sexual desire.
Before you start thinking these additives are little magic pills, it’s important to understand how they work. An aphrodisiac’s main function is to help reduce stress and enhance feel good emotions by increasing the release of dopamine or endorphins. This release is what helps to stimulate or awaken desire (1). They can typically found in the form of a specific food, drink, or natural drug. Some examples include:
- Pomegranates help to increase testosterone which is important in both the male and female sex drive.
- Chocolate has a chemical compound linked to feeling good. It also has historically be sited as a ‘food of love.’
- Oysters have a concentration of zinc which produce key sex hormones.
- Horny Goat Weed can promote stronger and longer lasting erections
- Histidine is linked to intensified orgasms
- Pycnogenol is proven to treat erectile dysfunction and enhance sperm mobility
- Rhodiola can increase sensitivity
- Mucuna Prurien is a legume that has an additive effect of increasing dopamine
- Maca has shown to improve both sexual drive and performance
Other Natural Examples Include
- Sleeping Naked (this may seem fairly self explanatory, however only 8% of Americans are said to do it)
- Exercise and Stretching
- Hotels as they can bring a sense of novelty and excitement
- If you want to simplify this list, some experts say that engaging with anything that brings you joy and helps to reduce your stress level provide aphrodisiac like result and work to increase your sexual desire (1). Therefore, focusing on your emotions and picking what works best for you and your partner is a great strategy as well!
- The Sex Issue: Everything You've Always Wanted to Know about Sexuality, Seduction, and Desire. Grand Central Life & Style, 2018.References
- Via @RoarkModern